Monday, January 21, 2013

Handling Your Dog

Recently I worked with an aggressive dog.  I suggested that he be muzzled when going to the vet for everyone's safety, including the dog's.  It got me thinking that some dogs, for a variety of reasons, don't allow handling and owners just accept this and everyone goes on there merry way until something happens such as an injury to the dog and no one can get near him to help.  I have seen the dogs who get take to the groomer and have to be held down to be groomed it is a horrible experience for the dog and the groomer but it needs to be done.

I have always talked about handling in my beginner classes and my puppy privates but I don't think I have made it clear how important this is.  This also becomes a bigger problem in direct relation to the size of the dog.  Here is a simple exercise you can work on when watching TV that will greatly improve your dogs tolerance for handling.

Sit on the floor with your dog.  Your dog has to be unable to leave that means tied to something (table leg, your foot) or in a very small room like a bathroom.  Depending on the dog whether or not I use treats.  For a dog that really likes to be petted as long as it is only where they like it I will probably use petting as my reward.  For most dogs being petted is not that big a reward to you have to find something they want to reward them with, treats or even throwing a toy very short distances or tugging will work.

The biggest thing to remember is you are not going to force the dog to do anything he doesn't want to do.  This for me is always the hardest part at some point I reach the I feel I have done this enough and you should let me do _____ and then I force it.  This is the worse thing you can do it proves to the dog they were right to be worried you are not safe.  I found that watching TV keeps me a little distracted and not so goal focused.

Getting Iggy used to being handled by children
Back to the floor.  Sit next to your dog and start massaging him in his favorite place.  The difference between massaging and petting is massaging puts a lot more pressure and goes much slower.  Light fast petting will stimulate the dog, long slow firm movements will relax the dog.  If find the neck works really well as a starting point.  You cannot move forward until you feel your dog relax.  If you have worked on it for a while and your dog is still moving around or just not relaxing you will not move forward.  If your dog chooses to get up and leave that's fine because he can only go so far.  Let's say after a few days you have no improvement, you can try just sitting next to your dog and not touching him.  You can then reward him for lying next to you for increasing times.  Then you would lay a hand on him, did he leave?  If so you just sit there and continue to watch TV.   If the dog chooses to leave, for the first few times I will reward him for coming back, than only for coming back and lying down, than only for not leaving when I put my hand on him.

If you where able to massage the neck work down and massage the shoulder.  Does your dog tense up?  If so go back to the neck massage then just lay your hand on his shoulder for a few seconds then go back to massaging the neck.  After you have done this a few times try massaging the shoulder.  Then I move down to between the elbow and the shoulder.  Let the dog tell you what he is comfortable with and how far you can go.

You want to be very aware of constantly increasing the behaviour for the rewards.  That way you are progressing towards your final goal of your dog lying there while you clean his ears or cut his nails.  I always allow a little backslide when I start a new session.  Ideally keep track of each session and jot down your goals and accomplishments every day.  This exercise will only be effective if practiced regularly.  Every day is ideal or even short sessions multiple times a day, once a week will not change the behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment